Saturday, June 19, 2010

Chocolate Donuts


Yesterday was my “last” day of the school year. B4 work I went to the donut store to get Kristy & the girls a little A.M. treat. They LOVE chocolate donuts with chocolate frosting and chocolate sprinkles (this love for the cocoa must be in their female DNA).

As I was cleaning out my classroom the graduates of 2010 were returning from their Grad Night @ Disneyland. Man did they look exhausted! But w/a few of them I noticed a different look. I saw in their eyes a look of uncertainty and doubt. Because they couldn’t answer this simplest of questions: “What do I do now?”. You see, as many of them spend their day trying to rebel against school, deep down inside they embrace it. High School is the safe cocoon. They have a routine, friends, teachers they know. The real world (especially today) is an intimidating place.

How did this happen? Why so much doubt? Why no idea? Well we can point at many places but we have to begin with . . . MOM and DAD. As parents it is our job (not by duty, but by love) to make sure our sons & daughters are prepared for the challenges and obstacles of life outside of school. How many parents do you know say, “their older now, I can let them make their own decisions” or “they’re almost an adult, I am treating them like one.”

Well here’s a news flash, they are not almost adults. They are still kids. They are still the little girl that lit up your heart at the first grade Christmas Concert. They are the little boy who was beaming after he hit his first t-ball home run. When they were little, you went to every Open House, knew all their friends and teachers by name, and were there to tuck them in every night. Why did you stop when they got to high school? At a time they needed you most, you gave them more freedoms. At a time when the problems were real like sex, drugs, alcohol, ditching classes, peer pressure you hoped that treating them like adults would help them deal with these issues. You could have been there to guide them through the choppy seas of high school.

In my head I see that lone boy walk right by my window. I know who he is. He was in my class two years ago. Nice enough kid, average student. Never caused waves, just did enough to get by. Only reason I remember his name is he transferred from my high school Alma Mater to my current work school. He had the look of doubt and uncertainty. I yelled out the window, “congratulations on graduating, good luck in the future.” He quietly thanked me, put his head down, and shuffled across the quad to his life.

I wonder if he has someone to buy him chocolate donuts . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment